Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Salon: Psychopharmacology For Social Workers
Thursday, April 18, 2019, 7:00 PM until 9:00 PM
Cheesman Park Neighborhood
Denver, CO 80206
CSCSW Salon Series
Presentation by Dr. Brenda Czaban, MD
- Discussion of the major neurotransmitters in the brain and how imbalances correspond to different mental illnesses
- Discussion of the classes of psychiatric medications and how they act on these neurotransmitters
- Discussion of the indications, benefits, and side effects of different classes of psychiatric medications
- Discussion of off-label uses of medications
- Discussion of genetic testing to guide psychiatric medication choices
- Discussion of the uses of ketamine, transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), and electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- Discussion of new innovations in psychopharmacology Handouts and case studies will be used throughout the presentation
- Questions will be taken both during and after the presentation.
- Improve understanding of organic causes of mental illness (brief)
- Improve understanding of how and why different medications work for different symptoms
- Provide information about treatment innovations in psychiatry
- Provide reference materials about psychiatric medications
Presenter Bio: Dr. Czaban is a board-certified medical doctor who specializes in the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of adults with mental health conditions. She earned her medical degree from Stanford University School of Medicine and served as Chief Resident during her four-year psychiatry residency at the University of Colorado. Dr. Czaban is certified by both the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and the National Board of Physicians and Surgeons. She has testified as an expert witness in her field.
Salon attendees receive 1.5 CEUs.